Soup and winter go together like Christmas and over-eating.
Warm yourself from the inside out with our curried carrot and roasted corn kernel soup. It blankets your taste buds with the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. The soup boasts a thick, creamy texture making it the perfect winter-time meal.
- Half a kg of frozen corn kernels
- Half a kg of carrots (peeled and cut into small pieces)
- 1L fresh cream
- 1 onion
- 50g curry powder
- 20g turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chorizo (sliced)
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Place the corn, carrots and onion in a deep oven-proof dish. Add a dash of olive oil and place in oven for 30 to 40 minutes
- While that roasts, heat up olive oil in a large pot. Add the turmeric and curry powder. Pan fry until the spices form a darkish brown paste.
- Remove the roasted veggies from the oven and add the fresh cream. Tip: Save a cup of the roasted corn kernels as a garnish and to add an essential crunchy texture
- Turn the oven down to 160 degrees C, place dish back into the oven and cook for another hour
- In a separate pan heat up olive oil. Add the sliced chorizo and pan fry until crispy. Remove from the heat and put aside
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and pour into the pot with the spices. Blend the mixture until smooth and silky
- Strain through a sieve into a big bowl and add salt and pepper to taste
- Top with roasted corn and caramelised chorizo