It's the tater with no hater. It's the spectacular spud. It's luscious, it's rich, it's the ultimate dish. IT'S MAGNIFICENT MASH.
The second episode of our potato series introduces the Fat Butcher’s magical mash. It’s like pulling happiness from a pot. It makes your worries and woes wane as it melts in your mouth; soothing the soul and warming the belly.
- Potato (Hint: the type of potato you use is important. The best type is a floury potato; the UDT, Caren, Darius and Avalanche are all great for making mash. They are high in starch and low in moisture, ideal for creating a smooth, velvety consistency).
- Salted butter
- Fresh cream
- Wash the potatoes
- With their skins still on, place the potatoes in a pot with salted water.
- Bring to the boil then turn down to simmer for an hour. The potato should be cooked but not falling apart
- Drain and peel with pace (Careful not to burn yourself).
- Mash boiled potatoes together.
- Put the cream and butter into a pan and bring to a boil
- Remove from heat and add the liquid to the mash.
- Fold the liquid through the mash
- Place drum sieve over a medium-sized bowl and push mash through. Do not worry if you don't own a drum sieve, a standard sieve will also work fine.
- Pass the mixture through the sieve for a second time round
- Add a sprinkle of nutmeg on the top