We’ve all been there, you arrive home after a long day. You are tired. You are run down. All you want to do is climb into your bed and disappear under the covers until sunrise. To make matters worse, your stomach starts screaming at you - long rumbling demands for food. Feed me, fool! You turn towards the kitchen but the thought of cooking makes you want to bolt out the door and never return. This is why you need a sneaky source of easy-to-prepare recipes at your disposal. So, grab your pen and paper because this is for the lazy-day cookbooks.
- Coarse sea salt
- White wine
- Bay leaves
- Peri-peri sauce
- Fresh cream
- Black peppercorns
- Fresh Portuguese rolls
- Egg (fried)
- Make the marinade: In a large bowl add; the white wine, bay leaves, peri-peri sauce, garlic and peppercorns, then whisk to combine. Next, place the steaks in the marinade, cover the bowl with cling wrap and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes (the longer you leave it, the better).
- Cook the steak: Heat butter in a pan over high heat. Cook the steak for 3-4 minutes, or until your preferred doneness. Remove the steaks from the heat and leave to rest.
- Pour the marinade into the pan with a splash of fresh cream and allow the sauce to reduce. Then, place the steaks back into the sauce and heat through.
- Assemble and serve: Butter the rolls and dip them in the remaining sauce. Place the steak onto the roll and top with a fried egg.
- Enjoy immediately with a serving of Portuguese side salad.
Portuguese side salad:
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Red onion, sliced
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
Throw the fresh ingredients into a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, vinegar, and finish off with a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper.