Roasted bone marrow is a timeless and delectable dish. It is also widely underrated which, in our eyes, is a tragedy. When do you ever find a dish that is deliciously decedent yet affordable and easy to make? Not to mention the health benefits – research shows it contains many immune boosting properties and nutrients.
Bone marrow can be a light dinner, generous starter or the perfect side dish to any steak. One of the our absolute favourite ways to indulge in this divine dish is roasted with a side serving of toasted sourdough and salsa verde sauce. The rich, salty flavours of the bone marrow blend exquisitely with the sharp, tangy flavours of the salsa verde. Spread all that gooey goodness over toasted sourdough and we have something special.
For the bone marrow
- Bone marrow
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 230 degrees C.
- Place the bones, marrow side up, in an ovenproof frying pan or roasting pan
- Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Pop into oven for roughly 20 minutes
- Traditionally the ends of the bones would be covered to avoid seepage but we prefer our ends browned and crispy so we leave them bare.
- Remove from oven. Note: the marrow should be loose and giving, but not melted away.
Alternatively, bone marrow is also incredible when cooked over an open flame.
- Fire up those coals and pop the bones, marrow side up, on the braai
- When they start bubbling you know that they are done
For the Salsa Verde
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked from the steams.
- 2 Tbsp mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- Finely chop the basil, parsley and mint leaves
- Add in medium sized bowl and drench with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Peel garlic and chop finely with the capers and anchovies. Add to the herbs and olive oil mixture
- Add in the mustard, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Adjust flavour to your preference by adding more olive oil, lemon juice, salt and/or pepper.